Having pain, numbness and loss of strength in hand. What am I suffering from?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Loss of strength of right hand along with severe pain at wrist area. Fingers affected, middle finger to pinkey. Numbness throughout. Grip strength lost at a 20 lbs is signafacant to atleast 90 %. Both hands same symptons. Running finger with light pressure across wrist area, almost gives a senation of nubness of the complete hand. I m
53 yrs old, my hands have worked hard all their life. If it can be done with a hand I have done it. 16 yrs military servise aircraft load master/vehicle fleet. Sheriff dept 16 yrs road patrol, firearms master. You have it all, thanks doc. XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Seems like you are suffering from compression neuropathy - Guyson's canal syndrome or carpal tunnel syndrome. A proper clinical examination with or without joint pains, it would be advisable to find out the cause for it - most common is Rheumatoid arthritis. Such polyathritis are also associated with such compression neuropathies. For this we need a battery of blood tests along with an Xray of your wrist and hand. I would suggest you to consult your doctor and get examined clinically.

Use some kind of wrist splint and immobilise your wrist for a week. A course of NSAID's will help in decreasing the inflammation and thereby relieve your symptoms. Avoid using keyboards or other activities which puts pressure over your wrist.

Get well soon.