Having pain near collar bone. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 41 year old woman. I have been having pain just beneath my right collar bone and in my right upper arm (sort of on the back or side). It is growing in intensity, and will sometimes wake me up. Although it is not constant, it is coming very frequently. My general health is good. I could lose 20 lbs, though. I am 5'7" and 172 lbs. I just moved to California, and I don't have a doctor here yet.
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 8 minutes later

First, I would like to know if the polyp you got surgically removed was benign or malignant. Did your doctor get histopathology done of the polyp?

It would be difficult to predict the cause of pain - whether benign or serious without physical examination and investigations. The pain could be arising from the shoulder or the lungs. You must get X-ray of the right shoulder and chest done to exclude any secondary growth.

Along with it X-ray cervical spine might also be needed to rule out cervical spondylitis.

Please visit your nearest orthopedic surgeon. He/she can guide you through these tests. In the meantime for symptomatic relief, you may use topical analgesic sprays or ointments along with oral pain killers. Physiotherapy may also provide some relief.

Hope this answers your query. If there are any more queries do let me know.