Having pain in wrist when lifting weight and doing push ups. Prescribed calcium and vitamin tablets. Suggest

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I used to excercise in the GYM till XXXXXXX 2013, slowly i realised that i am facing pain in my right wrist while lifting heavy loads and doing pushups. when consulted a doctor, he advised me to have some calcium tablets and multi vitamin tablets. the exray report shows no sign of fracture. till today i am not completly releaved from this issue. pls advise.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
After going through the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with Tendonitis or symptoms are pain, tenderness and sometimes swelling of the affected part.

In addition to x-ray, the investigation of choice for soft tissue injuries of such sort is MRI scan which tells us the degree of damage or any degeneration of the tendon.
Most common reason is a mild sprain that you must have sustained somehow.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your orthopedician and get a check up done followed by investigations like MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days. Do not take medications unless absolutely necessary. You can take mild pain killers till then.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.