Having pain in waist and hip bone. Difficulty to stand or walk. What should I do?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have a pain in the left side at the waist and on top of the hip bone (i think it is hip bone). It is not in the hip joint and not on the back side it is toward the front and at the waist. It does not hurt to sit or to lay on my side but it takes my breath away to stand and to walk or put pressure on the left leg. What should I do at this point? Go to emerbengy or see a local doctor?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 57 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
From your description, the pain appears to be related to movement and therefore may be muscular. Although you may not knowingly have strained a muscle, this could be the cause.
I would suggest paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain relief. Rest when you can. At this stage I don't think you need to see a doctor as I think this will get better in a couple of days. If you find it has not improved then a visit to a doctor will allow a physical examination to help with diagnosis.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger