Having pain in upper stomach with fluttering sensation. Blood test normal. What could be the problem?

Hello, I'm a 32 year old female, mother of 3 boys very healthy thank God. I've been have some pain in my upper right side. Close to my stomach and liver area. With a weird pounding and fluttering sensation. I have been to the docs. more than 4 times in the past 1 1/2 yr now and was told gas and acid reflux..I Just didn't buy that, so I went in once again this week and they ordered some blood work and an ultra sound of that area. Thinking that it could very well be gallbladder stones. Well had the blood work come in all normal thank God, But the ultra sound showed some cysts or at least is what they think it could be, in the upper right loop of the liver 2 of them, each at 3 cm in size and a hemangioma. I had a appt for today 10/27/2012 for an MRI. They canceled it for next Saturday. Which really mad me very upset because just wanted peace of mind..I have not being resting or sleeping well. very worried about all this because they told me they wanna make sure it's not The "C" word. I hate that word. Extra information is that I have high blood pressure ,a history of migraine headaches thyroid nodules and had some benign mass in my right breast as well, as fluid filled cyst ..Please Pleas please HELP so worried! Thanks
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting XXXXXXX with your query.

I would have also thought of gall stones as a first diagnosis, but certainly there are no gall stones on ultrasound. Generally liver cysts and haemangioma can be diagnosed with very high accuracy on ultrasound examination, so I think you should not worry about the C word. MRI should further rule that out conclusively. At the same time MRI would also rule out problems else where in the tummy.

Since you have persistent symptoms, and if MRI comes out to be normal except for the liver cysts and haemangioma, then I think you should also undergo an upper GI endoscopy.

Best wishes,

You can contact again if you have further issues.

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Having pain in upper stomach with fluttering sensation. Blood test normal. What could be the problem? 19 hours later
Are cyst of the liver common and do they ever turn into "c". How likely is it, if my grandmother died of liver "c"..Pleas give me peace of mind. I really am so scared and worried so much can't wait for my MRI..PLEASE PLEASE I BEG you!

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 hours later
Be assured and do not worry much. Liver cysts are very common and majority of these are benign which means they are not cancerous.

Cheerup and best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Having pain in upper stomach with fluttering sensation. Blood test normal. What could be the problem? 23 hours later
So today, I was told by the MRI team who set up my appt for this coming saturday that they are looking for a mass on the liver. What does a mass mean and is it alway larger is that why they call it a mass.

Soooooo scared, please help I can not rest assure i have so many questions. I wanna rest assure!!

Thanks so much for understanding what I'm going through!!
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 10 hours later

Just feel easy. Anything lesion that occupies liver substance is called mass. Even a cyst and haemangioma are classified as mass. So do not worry. I think there will be nothing else on your report.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal