Having pain in upper stomach and back. Feeling gastric and urgency for bowel movements. Worrisome

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am having intense pains in my upper stomach and back simultaneously. I also hear an occasional gaseous sound in my stomach. I do not feel that I need to have a bowel movement. The pain comes about every 10 to 15 seconds and it is very intense.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The intense pain in the upper abdomen which radiates to the back is most probably due to renal stones.The intensity and frequency of pain suggests the probability of a stone which is causing active obstruction to the outflow of urine fronm the kidneys. Since you are suffering from gout the chance of having a recurrent stone disease is very high.For this you need to undergo 2 radiological tests , a ultrasound of the kidney,ureter and bladder region and a plain x XXXXXXX of the region as well (KUB).This will help in determining the presence of a stone and if present the extent of its obstructive effects.The current treatment till you get investigated would be symptomatic antispasmodic medications.
The gaseous sounds emanating from the stoamach region are not of any consequence as long as your bowel movements are regular.
I hope this answers your querry.
You can write back to me if you have any further querry .
With Regards