Having pain in upper abdomen while moving around, sneezing or coughing. What should be done?

I have a pain in my upper right abdomen, mainly when i move around, sneeze, cough or take XXXXXXX breathes. it's been there for around 3-4 weeks. doesn't effect my appetite or make me feel unwell, the pain is quite sharp and does'nt seem to be getting any better?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 45 minutes later

I understand that you have been having pain in right upper abdomen. I am happy that you have stopped drinking in the last month.
Your pains are likely either due liver related disorder or a problem in the lower part of the lungs.
You have mentioned that, your LFTs were high last month. It suggests liver injury. This itself can cause such pains as you are experiencing.
Now, you will need to do two things.
One, get an Ultrasound scan of the abdomen to specifically look at the liver and gall bladder. A repeat LFT will also be recommended.
Second, go for a Chest X XXXXXXX to evaluate the lungs.
This will help to rule out any major cause of your symptoms. We can start proper treatment once we have nailed down the cause of the symptoms.
Pains related to muscular strain usually subside with rest and in some time. However, above conditions need to be ruled out before concluding so.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran