Having pain in trachea area, hurts to swallow. Feeling slight burn, dryness and thirst. Any cure?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a pain in my trachea area, it hurts when I swallow. I did just get over a sinus infection. But I don't have any symptoms and it only really comes back stronger in the evening. Its been 2 days. It comes and goes. Very slight burn, feels very dry. I am a hypocandriac and it does get worse with panic, but then starts to go away. My throat feels very thirsty as well.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 49 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

The throat pain following sinus infection could be due to either residual inflammation in the throat secondary to the sinus infection or acid reflux disease.

Usually, during or after an attack of sinusitis there can be inflammation over the mucosa of the throat leading to swelling and pain. Sometimes, when there is blockage of the sinuses, an individual tends to open the mouth and breathe. Mouth breathing causes dryness and sore throat because of evaporation of the water content from the mucosa of the throat.

Secondly, gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly referred to as GERD or acid reflux, is a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach backs up or refluxes into the esophagus. The liquid that enters the esophagus (regurgitation) can damage the lining of the esophagus although visible signs of inflammation occur in a minority of patients. The regurgitated liquid usually contains acid that is produced by the stomach.

A complete examination of the throat can help in making an appropriate diagnosis. My advice to you is to drink plenty of warm water; avoid chilled food/beverages/smoking/coffee/alcohol in any. Use saline nasal spray to keep your nasal mucosa moist. You can take anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen. If the discomfort still persists, please consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon