Having pain in tongue after biting on it. Gargling caused ear and tooth pain. Suggest?

May 2014

I bit my tongue worse than ever before -- very far back on left side -- pain is even worse with ice -- gargling caused severe left ear and tooth pain -- not bleeding -- any suggestion?
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
As you have said, you have accidentally bit the left side of your tongue posterolaterally I assume. You have not mentioned how many days ago the injury took place. Since the tongue is a very sensitive organ with plenty of nerve endings, ang stimulation is well appreciated. That's exactly why the pain is still worse even with ice. The severe left ear and tooth pain during gargaling cannot be explained by the tongue bite alone. Just hoping that your bite is not old enough to start an infection in the region.

It is suggested that you please consult an oral surgeon and rule out the need for any suturing of your tongue. Further you will be given proper medication with painkillers and antibiotics after clinical examination. You may please refrain from allowing the food in your mouth from touching the bitten area of your tongue to decrease pain while eating.

Hope this helps,
Follow-up: Having pain in tongue after biting on it. Gargling caused ear and tooth pain. Suggest? 19 minutes later
FYI β€” the tongue bite occurred about 9 hours ago β€” I did wash area with solution of half water and half hydrogen peroxide. I presume the earache and teeth pain nearby is "sympathetic" nerve pain.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 16 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for your clarification.

Your wound is relatively fresh and this is the right time to consult an oral surgeon and take advice regarding further immediate action to prevent any infection and reduce your discomfort.
If bleeding has stopped, then it’s a good sign that there is no large capillary involved in the tongue tissue.

The pain could be "sympathetic" as you have put in and not really related to your tongue bite.
Further queries welcome.
Follow-up: Having pain in tongue after biting on it. Gargling caused ear and tooth pain. Suggest? 35 hours later
Tongue-bite pain has eased -- movement improved. Is it likely that my worsening, extensive, body-wide neuropathy -- the resulting instability -- could have contributed to such an unusual tongue bite β€” farther back than ever before?

I'm nearly deaf -- nerve deafness -- for many years. Conventional hearing aids are of no use -- I use a complicated FM system with a wireless, handheld directional-microphone and a belt-mounted receiver/amplifier -- then hardwiring to earbud speakers attached to custom ear-canal molds. The very high gain -- 60 to 90 Db -- contributes to instability via the inner-ear balancing mechanism. Do you have opinions on these matters that you could comment about? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later

Thanks for your questions.

Nice to know the pain has eased.
Coming to your questions,
1. Neuropathy and tongue bite: Data collected in US shows evaluation of 7741 patients suffering from neuropathy, of which just 5 people had tongue bite. This is authentic research information.
So your problem is not unheard of but at the same time rare in occurrence with incidrnce of 0.06% in the US.

2. Hearing aids (latest ones) and instability: I am very sorry that I have not come across any patient report where this problem was encountered or discussed. There was no medical literature that I could locate.

Please do send in any more questions. I would be delighted to answer them to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Hoping that your tongue bite heals completely and quickly.

Take care,
Dr Vivek