Having pain in toes and during bending toes. Working out a lot. Remedy?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been having pain in 4and5 toes that goes half up front of XXXXXXX
.pain when bending toes and running just started working out a lot.
and have had the pain for 4weeks
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could possibly a strain pattern injury.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are propably due to strain of the involved muscles resulting from an unaccustomed physical activity in the form of heavy workouts.

This is a natural phenomenon and tend to occur in the involved soft tissues (muscles, tendons and ligaments) till the time they get adjusted to the increased levels of metabolism during physical activities. This process is termed as Soft tissue Adaptation.

The treatment of this condition involves -
* Simple warming up exercises in the form of stretching before going for heavy work outs
* Drinking plenty of fluids before exercising to avoid dehydration
* Taking fruit juices before or after work out as they are XXXXXXX in potassium & calcium (both are important in muscle metabolism)
* Follow the RICE regime (rest,ice packing, compression & elevation of leg) as and when needed.
* Analgesics like Advil or Aleve will help in short term pain relief

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any clarification

Follow-up: Having pain in toes and during bending toes. Working out a lot. Remedy? 23 hours later
the pain is a burning pain mostly in the toes and get worse when on toes that goes right up my XXXXXXX bone. any more advice would be great thanks.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to pinched nerve.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Burning pain strongly suggests an irritated or pinched nerve supplying that area.

The simplest remedy is to avoid that movements after which your burning pain is occuring. This indicates that the nerve is gets compressed during that particular activity. This will solve the issue.

Also, you can use Neurotropic medicines like Pregabalin or Methylcobalamine for a few days to reduce your burning pain. But these medicines have to be taken after consultation with a neurophysician.

If your burning pain is not resolving, then either Nerve conduction studies or EMG (electro myogram) will help in establishing the diagnosis.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day