Having pain in throat and ear after EGD with dilation. Should I go for immediate treatment?

Yesterday I had a EGD with dilation for a severe stenosis 1cm in length by 2mm in diameter in my upper esophagus. The doctor could only dilate enough to get a 5mm gastroscope in to complete the EGD. I am going back Tuesday for another dilation. I spoke with the GI on call last night that I was having bad pain in left side of throat and into my ear whenever I would swallow (I am on liquid diet so it's even when I swallow my saliva). it was also painful to turn my head towards the left because of the pain in my throat. He said I would feel better in morning. Well it actually was better this morning but as the day went on, it became worse again with swallowing and talking. I spoke with my main GI around 11:40 am and told him about the situation. We had a bad connection but he basically said the pain was probably from the dilation of such a tight stricture (the procedure GI also had to use a "Jagwire" across the stricture at one point (prior to dilation) to withdraw the scope.). The pain is as bad as it was last night again and I am suppose to try an ensure in a half hour but don't want to due to the pain when swallowing. I will be taking oxycodone prior to that but it really doesn't help that much with the throat pain (I take oxy for fibromyalgia). I just wanted a "concur" so to speak that this isn't anything that needs immediate treatment and just wait and see if things get better with rest. Oh it also feels like there's a lump with the pain when I swallow. Besides the swallowing, there really isn't any pain except for in my left ear or if I turn my head towards the left. Thanks! P.s. just started today 1mg of liquid Carafate 4 times a day (I have only had one dose so far) XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 16 hours later
Appears that you had a very tight stricture. Any time you
undergo a procedure like this, I hope that the doctor
ordered an x-ray of your upper chest and neck to make
sure there was no perforation with leakage of air. This
can be readily seen. If you continue with problem, I
would recommend you get to the medical facility to
get a followup x-ray.
Wish you well.