Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain in the upper molar, swollen lower lip and puffiness on upper lip. Should I see dentist?

I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in my back upper molar area. this morning I woke up with a swollen lower lip and puffiness on upper lip. Should I see my dentist or doctor first? Thank you YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 minutes later

With the history of Essential Thrombocythemia, there could be some other co existing conditions, hence I suggest for primary care doctor visit first.

The primary care physician is trained to treat simple dental ailments as well if it is unrelated with the preexisting conditions. If this complaint is not recurring and first time it does not appear to be serious.

Let me know if this clarifies.