Having pain in the top of foot. Getting difficulty to walk and bend toe. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had sharp pain in the top of my foot. (under my toes) My foot looked like it swelled at first, but now is not swollen. I'm not sure what happened to it. I had a large dresser fall in my son's room and I lifted it back up. I'm not sure if one of the drawers fell on my foot. It is difficult to walk and my foot hurts a lot more when my sneakers are off. My son accidently stepped on my foot today and it was extremely painful. I don't have health insurance until Monday as my husband started a new job. It is also difficult to bend my toes on that foot without severe pain. Is there any way to tell without an x-ray if I have broken bones in my foot. It has been over a week now and I am still in a lot of pain.
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that your foot is injured. A bone injury is likely as the pain is persistent even after one week of the injury. An intense pain on bending is likely to be due to a fracture.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of injury.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
The symptoms you have are not likely to be related to the corpus callosum lesions of the brain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.