Having pain in the right arm and elbow. Is it due to excessive use of mobile?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have some pain in my right arm for a few months now. People around say its due to my excessive use of the mouse and my mobile. Can that actually happen? Consistent pain in the area below my elbow down to the palm.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

I have read your query. Yes excessive use or improper use of computer and its accessories can cause physical discomfort.

Will you please answer some question so that i can help you better-
1.Do you have associated neck pain?

2.Is this pain increase with coughing and neck movements?

3.How much time you pass in front of computer in a day?

Follow-up: Having pain in the right arm and elbow. Is it due to excessive use of mobile? 19 minutes later
1.Do you have associated neck pain? - No

2.Is this pain increase with coughing and neck movements? - No

3.How much time you pass in front of computer in a day? - about 8-9 hours

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 6 hours later

Thanks for information.

In absence of neck pain & presence of radiating pain in palm ,it looks that you may have due to compression of a nerve at wrist as well as due to compression of nerve at the neck.As you are not having painful movements at neck so possibility of compression of nerve at neck is not there.You may have compression at wrist due to abnormal position of your wrist at computer.
You should avoid acute bending posture of your wrist at computer-
WWW.WWWW.WW
The above link provides some information on the same. Please go through.

Keep your computer at adequate distance.

Avoid prolonged sitting in front of computer.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.

Follow-up: Having pain in the right arm and elbow. Is it due to excessive use of mobile? 11 hours later
Thank you for your response. Just wanted to clarify, there is no pain in the wrist, but on my arm below the elbow. Would the reason be the same as stated above?

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 26 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
I will still stay on my diagnosis with slight change. In carpal tunnel there is pain at and below the wrist, if there is no pain at these area then it can be cubital tunnel instead of carpal tunnel.
There is passage of nerves at the elbow, on front as well as back of elbow; there are chances of compression of nerve at this area due to malposition of hand and elbow during use of computer.
Taking help of a physiotherapist will help in reliving your problem.

Hope this will help you.