Having pain in the left side. Prescribed Zantac. Suffer constipation. What to do?

Constant pain on my left side (lower) since Sunday morning. Second time in a week. Doc prescribed Zantac. Hurts to even on my left side. Constipation.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastritis may be the cause.

Detailed Answer:

The pain can be related to acute Gastritis (Inflammation of the stomach).

Continue Ranitidine. If the pain is severe then you may add an antispasmodic also. Eat frequent small meal which neutralizes the gastric acid and eases digestion. Add more fiber to the diet like vegetables, greens and fruit to relieve constipation. Avoid spicy and fatty food, Caffeinated and carbonated drinks.

If the symptoms do not improve then you may need an ultrasound of the abdomen and an upper GI endoscopy to arrive at a diagnosis.

Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if you have any further clarifications.