Having pain in tail bone, sore when bend down. Is it due to changing matress. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Early this morning I woke up and my tail bone was feeling a bit uncomfortable. About an hour later I was still in bed and fell back asleep, when I turned in the bed I felt a lot of pain for a short period of time. when I press on my tail bone it does hurt. I have not hit the area on anything through out the day. It does not hurt when I walk around and only a little bit sore when I bend down to pick up something off the ground. when I am stationary for a period of time and move that is when the real pain happens. I have recently bought a new bed, an orthopaedic mattress 6 days ago. its a firm type of mattress. My mattress before gave me a lot of trouble with my back, since being on the new mattress the back pain in those area's of my back have started to get better. Any information on this would be appreciated.
I would also like to know what things I should and shouldn't do while I have this pain in my tail bone. When I am stationary for a period of time, movement afterwards is very painful for about 5 seconds, once I move around a bit more the pain is about 80% less painful. Can I go walking still, if so how far can I go. what exercises can I do to help it, should I take pain killers or anti-inflamitries. I am not in a country where it is easy to get medical help.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 52 minutes later
These symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia caused by inflammation of the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.
It is not likely to be related to the new mattress that you have bought.
Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:

1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, do not sit on hard surfaces. Alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks will help. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2) Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid any injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

3) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4) Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.
The symptoms that you have are likely to be related to mild inflammation and are likely to improve in next 2-3 weeks with the above said measures.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in tail bone, sore when bend down. Is it due to changing matress. Suggest? 14 minutes later
Is it ok to go for a walk, if so how long do you advise to walk for. as sitting around my back starts to hurt.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You can go for a short walk for 30 minutes daily. Do not indulge in lifting weights, bending forward or doing any heavy exercise.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.