Having pain in stomach. Operated for appendix. Why am I feeling back pain, tired and uneasiness?

General Surgeon
Iam 27yrs old and i had pain on my right side of the stomach for last 1yrs,and 4yrs back i have been operated for appendix.
From past 1week am feeling back pain and uneasy and tired.And the starts from right side of the rib below.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

First of all some explanation for you. It is quite common that right abdominal pain leads to appendix surgery. And about 50% of such surgeries reveals that the appendix was completely healthy (this is not a mistake, it is better to remove healthy appendix that leave the sick one). So it means that about 50% of right abdominal pain is misdiagnosed. The point is that maybe 4 years ago it was not the appendix inflammation, but something else. And it hurts you till nowadays.
Such pain can be caused by right kidney stones. Such stones can not be visible in ultrasound. Very characteristic for kidney stones is sudden pain start, radiation to groin and frequent urinating.
It is also possible that your pain is caused by ovarian infection, gall stones or even pregnancy. You should have abdominal ultrasound, fool blood work with pancreas and liver enzymes, pregnancy test and urine tests.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having pain in stomach. Operated for appendix. Why am I feeling back pain, tired and uneasiness? 46 hours later
Recently i had an Abdomen scan and found there is an Right renal cortical cyst measuring 20*20mm in right kindneys lower pole.
And am having Back pain as well.
Please let me know how to get rid of this.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Renal cyst is a very often finding in kidney and it is nothing to worry about. Moreover, it is not the reason of your symptoms. It looks like you are suffering from urinary tract stones or infection (without urine test it will be hard to tell). If it is infection, antibiotics therapy will be required.
In both cases you should increase mineral water intake (about 2 liters/24 hours), myorelaxant medicines like Methamizol or Buscolisine (should be prescribed by your doctor). Cranberry supplementation is very good for urinary tract diseases. It is also advisable to increase physical activity so the stones can get out easier. You may find hot baths very helpful as well.

Hope this will help.