Having pain in shoulder under scapula. Chest x-ray showed normal. Any suggestion

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Thank you for many years I have had a pain in my lef shoulder under scapula this happened after my second child was born he is now33 it has came and gone over the years but at the moment it's very painfully been to my gp had chest x XXXXXXX everything normal because of this pain my left shoulder is higher than the right the pain is making me very weary and any suggestions you have might help. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing overhead activity and hence pain.
You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in shoulder under scapula. Chest x-ray showed normal. Any suggestion 21 hours later
Hi there I have been to my gp who is sending me to physio and has given me anti inflamatory drugs and pain killers she thinks the pain is coming from the top of my left shoulder I have no pain there, going round to my scapula where I am feeling the pain
Also my posture is very bad left shoulder a few centimetres higher than the right due to having this chronic pain for so long hopefully it can be resolved

Kind regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Anti inflammatory are likely to help you. In case the pain is persistent even after regular hot fomentation, improvised body posture and pain killers then you may ask your orthopedician to prescribe you some muscle relaxants.
Recovery usually takes 3-5 weeks in case of mild inflammation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.