Having pain in shoulder and arm. Could it be bursitis?

I work out a lot- and one morning work up and my right shoulder was hurting (front). It has progressively got worse, to the point it is waking me up at night. I'm also having low bicep pain on the same arm at times. I've got an appointment scheduled, but am guessing they will need an MRI to figure out what it is for sure? There was no "injury" that i recall and truly just woke up to pain. I do a lot of pushups ect -- and think it might be brucitis?
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for the query
you seem to be suffering from shoulder bursitis or rotator cuff tendinitis or rotator cuff tear.
Shoulder bursitis and rotator cuff tendonitis are different ways of saying there is inflammation of a particular area within the shoulder joint that is causing a common set of symptoms. The proper terminology for these symptoms is 'impingement syndrome.' Impingement syndrome occurs when there is inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons and the bursa that surrounds these tendons. There is a difference between tendonitis and bursitis, but in most cases of impingement syndrome there is a combination of these problems.

Impingement syndrome is a descriptive term of pinching of the tendons and bursa of the rotator cuff between bones. 
The diagnosis can be made by getting an MRI of shoulder done which can tell the difference between impingement syndrome and rotator cuff tear.

Impingement syndrome and a rotator cuff tear are different problems, and although they are related, the treatment is different.

Treatment involves
Adequate rest
Ice packs locally 2 to 3 times a day
Anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen 600 mg three times a day for 7 to 10 days.
Sleeping on side other than the side which pains.

If conservative treatment fails then surgery is the answer.
Normally conservative treatment is done for 3 to 6 months.

You must consult an orthopedic surgeon for proper evaluation and treatment.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck