Having pain in right knee. Suffer depression, anxiety and thyroid. Take let rosin and anti depressants. guide?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a pain that feels deep into the back of my right knee. It sometimes hurts when I walk but not always . It hurts when a bend my knee tightly. I have only had it for 2 days. The pain goes up my thigh but doesn't hurt a lot there.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 24 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Taking into consideration your age and the presenting symptoms, I am of the opinion that you have OSTEOARTHRITIS of knee joint.

There are so many conditions that may produce pain in the knee. Please answer the below mentioned questions so that I can think of other possible diagnosis

* Do you have any history of injury/trauma to the knee before pain developed?
* Are you feeling pain in the knee at the start of walking after a period of rest?
* Is there any swelling in the knee?
* Do you feel any grating sensation in the knee while getting up from a chair/
* Any difficulty in stair climbing?
* Is the pain severe at the time of getting out of the toilet seat?
* Is there any associated fever, redness on the knee, or knee feeling hot?
* Do you have pains in any other joints?

Follow-up: Having pain in right knee. Suffer depression, anxiety and thyroid. Take let rosin and anti depressants. guide? 1 hour later
The answer is no to all those questions. It does not feel like the bones are affected. It's more of an ache than a pain too.
It really hurts a lot when I pull my ankle back towards my knee. But it's not really the knee that hurts but deep inside the muscles at the back of the knee. It then moves up the back of my leg. I have a dull ache all up the back of the leg when a lie down and a bit in my ankle too.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Hi, Based on the feedback provided, it could be a muscle strain resulting in soreness. As you are experiencing the ache or pain only during movement of the leg, it should be arising from either muscle or joint.

But pain arising out of muscle will be confined only to part and will not radiate either up or down the leg. Your symptoms are not falling into one category to diagnose the condition.

The other possibility being Lumbar spinal canal stenosis which also presents with vague ache in the legs (rare possibility in your case).

* Use Ice packs to resolve the acute pain
* Avoid movements that causes pain so as to allow the soft tissues to heal
* Judicious use of analgesic medications
* Use muscle relaxant gel applications as and when necessary

As your symptoms are only of short duration, you can try the above measures and see whether the ache resolves. If there is no response, consult your treating doctor for further evaluation.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Good day
Follow-up: Having pain in right knee. Suffer depression, anxiety and thyroid. Take let rosin and anti depressants. guide? 8 hours later
Thanks . I will follow your advice firstly. Am I correct in thinking its not deep vein thrombosis.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 13 minutes later
Hi, Based on your symptoms, it cannot be DVT.

The typical presentation of DVT will be as follows -
* DIFFUSE swelling of the leg,ankle and foot
* Local rise of temparture over the affected part (feels warm)
* Changes in the color of the skin like turning Pale, blue or red

As you don't have any one of the above, forget about DVT.