Having pain in ribs and back. Ultrasound and blood test clear. How to get rid of the pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello iv got pains in my right ribs and in my back. it has been coming and going for the past few months. i have had an ultra sound and blood test done. all came back clear. i have the pain right now. what is the quickest why to get rid of the pain?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Pains in the ribs and back on the right side is likely to be due to a muscle spasm if other intra abdominal causes have been ruled out after examination and ultrasound scan.
This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary.
Right now you can take a mild pain killer like double strength acetaminophen and do a hot fomentation on the affected area for relief. You may also apply a local analgesic gel on the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in ribs and back. Ultrasound and blood test clear. How to get rid of the pain? 6 minutes later
the pain is mostly in my ribs. only slightly in my back. i feel sick has well.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Pain in ribs is also likely to be due to the muscular spasm. Taking adequate pain killers in combination with muscle relaxants will help. Such pains may take even weeks to subside sometimes. Avoid doing any heavy work or lifting weights.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.