Having pain in rib cage and upper abdomen. Due to gallbladder problem?

General Surgeon
Hi, I am a 28 year old female. For the past year or so I have had a reoccurring pain (more like a dull ache) that is more annoying than anything on my right side, under my rib cage... upper right abdomen. Based on what I have read and been told it could be my gallbladder, but I am nervous. I tend to be a hypochondriac and I acknowledge that. I called a gastrointestinal doctor today to schedule and appointment, but now I have extreme anxiety about going. I'm afraid that I will have something bad... Of course I always think cancer. When the ache in my gallbladder area happens is dull and not debilitating. I do consume a fatty diet, which I know I shouldn't. I have no nausea, vomiting or fever. Do you think it sounds like gallbladder issues? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, it sounds like a gallbladder indeed. It is very characteristic for gallstones to cause upper right abdominal pain. The pain usually radiates to the back. Pain is usually triggered by fatty foods or alcohol. Females are more prone to gallstones.
Cancer usually does not give any pain at all. If it does, many symptoms are present before the pain. Moreover, cancer is quite rare at your age.
So please do not be afraid about a cancer. You should visit gastroenterologist and have abdominal ultrasound done at first.
In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having pain in rib cage and upper abdomen. Due to gallbladder problem? 3 hours later
Thank you for your response. I do feel better now.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later
You are welcome