Ask a Urologist   »  

Having pain in penis. Not cured by cipro antibiotic. How to get rid of this pain?

I've been having pain in my penis for about 2 weeks. My urologist prescribed cipro antibiotic for a week but the pain is still here and actually has gotten worse the past two days. I called my urologist several days ago, but he did not want me to take more antibiotics, just Advil for pain. And since it's the weekend, I'm here in pain and wondering what this is (my urologist never mentioned what he thought it was, and I assumed a symptoms - no fever, other aches or other pains. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 28 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It could be mild urethral infection or inflammation.
A course of AZO would be helpful.
Urinary anti- spasmodics would help ( like flavoxate group).
Kindly speak to your GP and get a prescription for the above.
Sever infection would be associated with fever and hence there is no need to worry at present.
Hope this helps, Kindly get back for doubts if any---

Wishing you best health,
Follow-up: Having pain in penis. Not cured by cipro antibiotic. How to get rid of this pain? 11 hours later
But AZO is just for pain as I understand it. If there's an infection, shouldn't more antibiotics be prescribed. The problem is it is getting worse, not better. Would there be so much pain with a mild infection or inflammation? Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Welcome back.
As the symptoms are getting worse, it means the infection has not fully cleared yet.
In addition to AZO, antibiotics initially empirical and then definitive need to be given based on the urine culture report.
Since it is weekend, it would be wise to visit the ER to get the above done, in case the specialist is not available.
Get well soon.