Having pain in ovary. Is it safe to go for pap and pelvic exam?

Hi. I am a 38 year old female that is having intermittent left side dull pain in ovary area. I also have intermittent pain/ pressure during XXXXXXX sex on same side. I do notice if I use extra clitoral stimulation the pain seems to go away. My periods are normal. No abnormal discharge. I have had a tubal ligation 5 years ago. All paps have been normal (my first pap was at 16). Some months I am fine, others I have these symptoms. I have no family history of Gyn cancers but my mother did have endometriosis and a hysterectomy because of uterine prolapse. She only had one child, I have had two. I have a pap and pelvic scheduled but am really scared because I am overdo on my pap and have been reading horror stories on the internet. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 44 minutes later
You need not be concerned about any horror stories regarding pap.Its just a screening test and cannot cause you any harm.Regarding your symptoms,pain in the left side of the abdomen may be due to several reasons both gynaecological and surgical.Only an examination can tell the difference. You should also get an ultrasound done to rule out any pathology like ovarian cyst,adenomyosis and fibroids.Since you have maternal history of endometriosis,there is always a possibility of you developing endometriosis also.It does sometimes have a genetic component.You should not worry yet until the pelvic exam and ultrasound is done.
Follow-up: Having pain in ovary. Is it safe to go for pap and pelvic exam? 3 minutes later
The pap does not scare me. It is all the stories of linking my symptoms to cancer, which scares me. Is there a very high likely hood of that?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later
Pain isnt a sign of cancer.There are many other signs and symptoms of pre cancerous lesions.You first need to be diagnosed by basis of elimination.Cancer can only be proved by a biopsy.There are different sites that are affected by cancer but based on your history and and an examination your symptoms need to be narrowed down first to ascertain which area is involved.Do not set your mind on cancer at this point.