Having pain in neck, shoulder and hand. MRI report showed posterior right lateral disco-osteophytic bulge. Treatment?

Nov 2013

Hello Doctor, I am 37 yrs old male. I am having pain in my neck and right shoulder and hand.
MRI report says:
There is generalized posterior right lateral disco-osteophytic bulge of the c5-6 and c6-7 Intervertebral disc indenting the anterior cervical subarachnoid space narrowing the right lateral recess with subsequent indentation of exiting right c6 and c7 nerve root.

Please suggest how bad is my condition and the possible future course of treatment.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.
Your symptoms are suggestive of slipped disc at two places in the neck region with mild pressure on the nerves on the right side. This is the cause of your neck pain, which is radiating to shoulder and hand on the right side.

Your problem is not severe and can be well treated with medications and physiotherapy. Surgery is not required at this stage.

Medications helpful are pregabalin or gabapentin.

Neck extension exercises and IFT/ultrasound, under the guidance of a physiotherapist are useful.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog:
Follow-up: Having pain in neck, shoulder and hand. MRI report showed posterior right lateral disco-osteophytic bulge. Treatment? 10 minutes later
Thanks alot for the prompt reply doctor.
I have been taking Gabaneuron as prescribed by an orthopedic and have been going for physiotherapy including IFT / Ultrasound and traction for last 6 weeks.
There is very little improvement in my condition.
My neck pain is mostly a dull ache extending from neck to shoulder and back till midway and starts after I stress it in office or while driving but my hand pain is what is troubling me most.
Hope to get a prompt suggstion on my condition.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Your treatment is on the right track, however, your lifestyle probably needs some change for faster and long-lasting relief. What I mean is, situations such as prolonged sitting and driving, etc delay the recovery in condition such as yours.

Regarding medications, it may need some adjustment. The dose of gabapentin may be increased upto 800-900 mg per day and a small dose of nortriptyline may be added.

In some cases, despite these treatments, pain may not reduce. Then, epidural injections (given in the neck region) could be helpful (given by anaesthetist or neurosurgeon).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)