Having pain in neck, mid back and spine. X-ray showed 8% curve in his spine.Concerned

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My question is in regards to my 12 year old son. He has had pain in his neck, and now down into his upper to mid back / spine area sence XXXXXXX of this year. We have had X-rays done to determine he has a 8% curve in his spine. The orthopedic doctor says we can rule out scoliosis; it does not cause pain. Ok so where do I go from here. My son is in a lot of pain doc. & I am concerned on his fatigueness, and my child not being his normal self. I have a physical therapy session arranged, but am concerned he has something else going on. I know without not seeing him: I respect your advise. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Based on your description, we need to rule out tuberculosis of thoracic spine. This may be the cause of thoracic spine pain and upper and mid back deformity.

I would like to know whether there is-
* History of loss of weight and appetite
*Evening rise of temp
*Night pain
*Any swelling in lumbar, iliac or groin region
*Duration of pain and deformity.

In addition some investigations like montoux test, haemogram and ESR is also required.
You can upload your child x-ray using the site's uploader so I can help you in better way.

In the interim, I also urge you to visit an orthopaedic and discuss about it further.

Hope this helps. Awaiting your reply for more comments...

Follow-up: Having pain in neck, mid back and spine. X-ray showed 8% curve in his spine.Concerned 2 days later

Thank you for you quick response. Yes my son has been loosing wait, and does not eat like he use to. He does say he feels like he has a feavor sometimes. And during the evening and early morning he is in more pain. We have gone to an orthopedic doctor, and I felt very rushed with no questions answered. That's why I considered speaking to you as another opinion. I can respect with out seeing him an answer will be hard to get, but with what your saying it helps me direct him. I would like to know if the x-ray shoes a slight cerv : do you think it could be pinching a nerv? I do not have the x-rays at this time, and am considering an MRI done on him. Would that sound correct to do to determen a nerv issue or rule out other things? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later

These symptoms again go in favour of tuberculosis of thoracic spine.

In this tubercular debris formed and inflammatory oedema occurs around the nerve and this can cause pinching of nerves.

So go for MRI to see tubercular debris or inflammatory oedema around nerve or to rule out any pathology.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.