Having pain in neck after swallowing cold liquids. What is the required treatment?

ENT Specialist
When I swallow cold liquids, the lower back of my neck is having pain . It began last night after eating cold ice cream after coaching an intense basketball game. I had iced water later and felt the pain on swallowing. I put some XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on my neck and slept fine. Had coffee for breakfast and no pain. At lunch ,I just had iced tea and it he pain still there, eating food is no problem and no other symptoms exist.
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Cold liquids and food have a desiccating (drying) effect on the throat. Sometimes it is an allergy or the throat is sensitive to sudden temperature change.

2. There is no active treatment required, except that you should avoid iced drinks, ice creams especially after a exercise. The sudden temperature change is beneficial to common throat viruses. Always hold the first intake of cold liquids or food in your mouth for a little while before swallowing.

3. Use a medicated gargle such as Betadine or Chlorhexidine ( Peridex / Periogard), anti-inflammation and anti-allergic medication. Discuss this with your physician.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.