Having pain in lower throat and upper chest while taking deep breathe and swallowing. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
I am having pain in my lower throat/upper chest while taking a deep breath. It started a few hours ago and has gotten slightly worse. Pain while swallowing is also evident. My chest only feels tight when a deep breath is taken, but my throat feels sore while swallowing and slightly while at rest. Thank you!

-Justin
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon who will try to help you out with your problem

At the offset let me assure you that after reading into your symptoms, I do not think that what you have is anything serious and am sure you will get well soon. So do not worry. Just follow these few instructions and am sure you will be fine:

1. You may either be having an episode of acute pharyngitis or acute reflux both of which can present with the symptoms you have mentioned. There may be other causes but these are the commonest

2. Do you have throat pain or fever? If yes then you may need to start some pain medication in consultation with your doctor

3. I would usually also advice a course of anti reflux medication like Pantoprazole which will take care of both your reflux and also the pharyngitis. Your doctor will know about this

4. Do regular steam inhalation at least twice and if possible thrice a day for one week or so

5. Do not strain especially when you speak and also when you breath and take rest. Take regular slow breaths rather than long ones which can initiate a pain.

6. Avoid anything cold, spicy or oily for the next one week

Wait for four to five days after the above for the symptoms to become better. If they do not become better and your symptoms worsen then you must get a throat swab, a chest X XXXXXXX and Upper GI endoscopy and get back to me or any ENT doctor with the reports

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be more than happy to answer any more doubts

take care and get well soon

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Having pain in lower throat and upper chest while taking deep breathe and swallowing. Suggest? 7 hours later
Thank you very much! It has been nearly 15 hours since the initial symptoms started. My throat now feels worse and I also have white puss marks on my right tonsil. The chest pain/tightness is SLIGHTLY more noticeable while at rest with out deep breathing now. I am 24 years old, male, ex smoker (smoke electronically now).

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's confirmed infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX

Since you have pus then it's confirmed that it's infection. You need to do the following:

1. Start antibiotic like amox-clav as soon as possible. Your doctor will know about this

2. If the pain is more you need to take injections is consideration with your doctor

3. Take salt water gargle three times daily

4. Continue anti reflex measures

Don't worry your chest tightness will become better in a week with this

Since it's infection then it can be treated and you do not have to worry about being anything serious

Take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Having pain in lower throat and upper chest while taking deep breathe and swallowing. Suggest? 19 minutes later
Thank you much!

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Welcome and get well soon
Don't strain when you speak

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Having pain in lower throat and upper chest while taking deep breathe and swallowing. Suggest? 4 hours later
Hello again doctor.

I thank you for your medical opinion regarding my symptoms. I recently noticed pinkish bumps on the side of my tongue. Not sure if it has something to do with anything but I would like your opinion on it. There is one on my right side a couple on my left side and a couple towards the back of my tongue. Thank you again

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 10 minutes later
hello again,

I do understand your concern about the bumps and in the background of infection you might have got scared on seeing them!

But rest assured, in infection of the throat these are small follicles or papillae which get enlarged and can vary in shape, size and distribution.

These will spontaneously disappear after the infection gets settled in a week or two.

So do not worry about them

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram XXXXXXX