Having pain in lower leg and ankle. Noticed hard lump outside tibea. Could it be fracture?

Question
I have been experiencing pain in my lower left leg similar to a high ankle sprain. After palpating both legs, i noticed there is a rough lump on the outside of my left tibia, while the outside of my right is smooth. Does this sound like a fracture?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
HI XXXXXX,
PAIN AND WOODY SWELLING CAN BE A RESULT OF LOCAL INFECTION;
IN THAT CASE YOU WOULD ALSO HAVE FEVER.
BECAUSE YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF RUNNING LONG DISTANCES YOU MAY BE HAVING A STRESS FRACTURE OF TIBIA. STRESS FRACTURE OF TIBIA IS A HAIR LINE FRACTURE OF TIBIA, IT'S A CHARACTERISTIC INJURY OF ATHLETIC PEOPLE AND IS MANAGED JUST LIKE OTHER FRACTURES AND IT IS DIFFECULT TO DIAGNOSE.
PLEASE GET AN XRAY OF LEG-AP AND LATERAL AND CONSULT LOCAL ORTHOPEDICIAN AND FOLLOW THE ADVISE.
I HOPE THE ADVISE WOULD BE USEFUL FOR YOU.