Having pain in lower left side. Had partial hysterectomy. Had fibroids. Noticed blood in stools.

I am currently waiting for an ultrasound to diagnose the reason for a pain in my lower left side. I am a 55-year-old woman who had a partial hysterectomy (I kept my ovaries and cervix) as I had fibroids. I am a bit worried that this dull recurring pain might have something to do with my left ovary. Last week, Wednesday I believe, I had blood in my stool. My GP told me not to worry as he is quite sure is caused by hemorrhoids (which I have). However, I have never had bright red blood in my stool before, so I am not really reassured by this. I live in Canada and I am on a waiting list for non-urgent testing.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bright red bleeding may occur with haemorrhoids.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
Bright red bleeding in stool is very commonly associated with haemorrhoids, so, unless you have any other symptom associated with your bowel, you may take this to be caused by haemorrhoids.
Avoid constipation to decrease the risk of further complications. Drink plenty of water, take high fiber diet & try to loose weight.
Your left sided pain could have a cause related to your left ovary, or any other organ located in that region, like left side of your urinary tract, or any part of your bowel.
Hopefully ultrasound will give some clues.
Wish you good luck.