Having pain in lower left abdomen. Feel bloated and loose stools. CT scan normal. Taking cipro and ultram. Suggestions?

pain in lower left abdomen . some bloating. loose stools. persistent for 12 days. always there sometimes dull, sometimes intense. blood work normal at 2 different hospitals. ct scan normal. read by at least 3 different radioligists,and md's. nothing shows up on vaginal ultrasound. taking cipro.,ultram for pain. no blood in white cells in blood.any ideas. this is my wife ,just turned 50. still having periods. 5'1,120 #.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Irritable bowel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your wife has been going through. I understand it must have been a very difficult moment for you and more so as all tests tend not to show any abnormality.

Considering all the information you have provided, I have a strong suspicion that she could be having irritable bowel syndrome with a predominance of pain symptoms.

Treatment is mostly symptomatic. In her case, avoiding problem foods, increasing fiber in her diet, anti-diarrhea medications, medication to relieve painful bowel spasms and antidepressants for her pains. Talk with her doctors and let them look into the possibility of controlling her symptoms with these drugs.

I hope this helps and provides another useful information that can help provide more options to relieve her of her symptoms. I wish her a speedy recovery. Please, feel free to ask follow up questions if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Having pain in lower left abdomen. Feel bloated and loose stools. CT scan normal. Taking cipro and ultram. Suggestions? 10 minutes later
I made a mistake about the ultrasound. they couldn't find her left ovary when they did the test on Thursday,but they had a good image on ct on wed.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the clarification.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and tanks for this follow up.

Ultrasound is not as sensitive as a CT scan in evaluating structures.

Because it could not be seen on an ultrasound but clearly visible on a CT is normal and warrants no further investigations. This should not be a worry to you. It is simply because a Ct scan is superior to ultrasound when it comes to identifying structures(ovary in this case).

Hope this helps.
I wish you both well.
Dr. Ditah, Md