Having pain in lower back at top of pelvis area. MRI showed straightening of lumbar lordosis. Pain relief?

Spine Surgeon
I'm 75 years old, 6'-4" tall, in good, active shape and my issue has been pain in lower back at top right of pelvis area for last 6 weeks. I had chiropractic treatment for 3-1/2 weeks before turning to a pain management specialist
The results on my recent MRI examination of my lumbar spine area gave a general finding that "there is straightening of lumbar lordosis (spelling ? ) and there is disc desiccation demonstrated throughout the lumbar spine XXXXXXX
One of the 5 "Impressions" that most concerns me is "L2-3 disc bulge L1-2 disc bulge & posterior central annular tear there is associated 1mm posterior central herniation XXXXXXX
What are suggestions to repair the tear and what can be done about herniation ? Will a epidural steroid injection solve or contribute to the repair ? .....OR provide just a temporary pain relief ???
I'm a avid golfer and would like to find a process of returning to this game.
Thanks !
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 38 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern.

According to your report, you have
1.straightening of lumbar lordosis
2. L2-3 disc bulge
3. L1-2 disc bulge & posterior central annular tear there is associated 1mm posterior central herniation XXXXXXX
4. Disc desiccation demonstrated throughout the lumbar spine.

You want to return to Golf that is appreciated, but it is difficult to say when it would be possible.

Please do consult your spine specialist. Epidural may give you relief, but you have to minimize your standing, which I suppose is part of Golf. With the details you have described, I shall not suggest surgery. Because, surgery is for radiating pain in leg and not the local pain. You should fix an appointment with your spine surgeon, discuss in detail and keep in mind everything you want is not always possible.

Hope that clears your doubts.

Thank you.