Having pain in lower back. Pain gets worse after bowel movement. No change in diet. What is causing this?

Hi there. I have had a niggling pain in my lower back for a few months now. The pain seems to get worse when I empty my bowels. I would also get s pain in my prostate when aroused, Sometimes when I sit on a hard surface it feels like I am sitting on a golf ball. No change in appetite and feeling normal all other ways.
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 hours later

I find it hard to relate all your symptoms to a single medical condition. It appears that all your symptoms may be due to different conditions. To understand your symptoms better I would need few important details. You can help me by answering the following questions:

1. By back pain do you mean this is in the spine?
2. Does the pain radiate down the limbs?
3. Do you suffer from constipation / difficulty in passing stool?
4. Do you have any difficulties in passing urine?
5. Are you passing thin streamed urine?
6. Any blood in urine?
7. Are you losing weight, night sweats?

I will be able to address your concerns better once I get these details.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Having pain in lower back. Pain gets worse after bowel movement. No change in diet. What is causing this? 2 hours later
1. Yes lower spine
2. Yes left leg
3. Mild constipation, feeling I cannot empty my bowels fully.
4. No
5. No
6. No blood in urine or stools
7. No weight loss

Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later

Thanks for providing additional details. Based on the details submitted, your symptoms might be related to the following conditions:

1. Low spine (lumbosacral) disc protrussion probably compressing on a few nerve roots. Low back pain radiating down the legs and difficulty to pass stools may be caused by this pathology. You may also have some numbness and weakness of limbs along with this pain.

2. Prostate pain especially on arousal can be due to prostate inflammation (prostatitis).

Both these conditions can be confirmed by careful clinical examination and evaluation. You would need a per rectal examination, a complete blood count, urine routine test and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan of lumbosacral spine.

Discuss with your physician about the possibilities and he/she can help streamline the tests. In the meantime avoid strenuous physical exercise, bending or lifting heavy objects; try warm compresses on the back and over the counter analgesics like Ibuprofen to relieve the pain and distress.

Hope I have provided you with useful information. Let me know if you have any enquiries.

Follow-up: Having pain in lower back. Pain gets worse after bowel movement. No change in diet. What is causing this? 35 minutes later
Ok I was worried it could be cancer of some sort.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later

I understand my apprehension and I apologize for not discussing about cancers in my earlier response.

In the absence of on and off fever, night sweats, weight loss and appetite loss, the chances of this being some kind of cancer is very, very unlikely. Yet, I would suggest you to get the test as discussed in my previous reply. Things will be much clearer about the causes and its treatment.

Do not worry about cancer. I do not feel you have one.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have any more enquiries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.