Having pain in lower abdomen/pelvic region after having sex. What could be the reason?

Hi, the last 3 times I've had sex I have been fine through it but immediately afterwards I have had quite bad pain in my lower abdo/pelvic region which lasts for approx 10 minutes. It starts in the middle just below my belly button and radiates out and down towards my hips and pubic region and nothing alleviates it but it subsides and disappears completely after approx 10 minutes. What could this be please?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The sudden cramp like pain in the lower abdomen immediately after an orgasm is due to the contraction of the uterus in response to the hormones that are released during the orgasm.
The pain is self limiting and subsides on its own without any treatment. This is a normal physiological phenomenon and does not require any treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in lower abdomen/pelvic region after having sex. What could be the reason? 39 minutes later
Hi, thankyou for getting back to me. It was not an orgasm pain as i did not orgasm and was quite a bit worse than a cramp. It felt more sharp than crampy, similar to a bad contraction.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If it was not an orgasm pain then a pelvic infection or an ovarian cyst is the likely cause. You can consult your gynecologist for a physical examination and proper investigations like ultrasound scan if the pain is recurrent.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.