Having pain in lower abdomen. Suffer colitus. Diagnosed cronse disease. Prescribed vegaz. Suggestions?

Dec 2012

my problem is pain in the lower abdomen for the last 15 years and earlier i was suffering from colitus but now their is no infection but i feet pain when i lye straight on the bed. My family doctor has diagnose cronse disease and have started vegaz one tablet daily but my problem of excess gas formation and acidity some time i have to use finger to release the gas from the abdoman.
Please advise,
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Nsah and I am pleased to be able to assist you.

Crohn's disease is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It usually affects the intestines, but may occur anywhere from the mouth to the end of the rectum (anus). There is known cause for this affection. It is a condition that occurs when your body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue (autoimmune disorder).
The following seem to play a role in Crohn's disease:

- Your genes and family history (people of Jewish descent are at higher risk)
- Environmental factors
- Tendency of your body to over-react to normal bacteria in the intestines
- Smoking

Crohn's disease may occur at any age. It usually occurs in people between ages 15 - 35.
If your doctor has already diagnosed you for having crohn's diseases, I believe that effective treatment is what you will be interested in. Your excess gas and acidity could be treated both with simple home care and some medications.
You should eat a well-balanced, healthy diet. Include enough calories, protein, and nutrients from a variety of food groups.
No specific diet has been shown to make Crohn's symptoms better or worse. Specific food problems may vary from person to person.
However, certain types of foods can make diarrhea and gas worse. To help ease symptoms, try:
- Eating small amounts of food throughout the day.
- Drinking lots of water (drink small amounts often throughout the day).
- Avoiding high-fiber foods (bran, beans, nuts, seeds, and popcorn).
- Avoiding fatty, greasy or fried foods and sauces (butter, margarine, and heavy cream).
- Limiting dairy products if you have problems digesting dairy fats. Try low-lactose cheeses, such as Swiss and cheddar, and an enzyme product, such as Lactaid, to help break down lactose.
- Avoiding foods that you know cause gas, such as:
Whole grains
Beans and peas (legumes)
In addition to this you might require some antifungal treatment (against yeast infection), antacids ( such as magnesium hydroxide, PPI such as omeprazole, H2 inhibitors such as cimetidine etc), laxatives (such as lactulose), simethicone (help break up the bubbles in gas), activated charcoal etc and most of them you can get over-the-counter at natural food stores.
But it will be better that before taking them, you inform your doctor or you seek his opinion.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah