Having pain in lower abdomen. Getting indigestion and upset stomach. What is going on?

I've been having pain in my middle to lower left abdomen for the past week. I get the pain occasionally throughout the day. Most of the time its just an aching pain but sometimes it gets more severe like a stabbing pain. The stabbing pain doesn't last too long, I would say not more than a few minutes when it does come. Something just doesn't feel quite right. I get indigestion and an upset stomach frequently and it doesn't feel like the usual pain that is associated with that, it's more localized to one specific area.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 7 hours later
Hello there,

From the description of your symptoms, it appears more like gaseous distention caused due to digestion or intolerance to certain types of food items. Among the important ones causing significant gaseous distention are legumes and lentils, like pulses and XXXXXXX peas.

First, maintain a food logbook and see how your body responds when you eliminate these foods from your diet. If it does not work, avoid dairy products like cottage cheese. After a few hit and trails, you will be able to choose the right foods that your body is more tolerant to.

Your pain shall hopefully disappear. At the same time, I would like to know if your pain has any correlation with your periods. Does it get aggravated during menses? If yes, other possibilities like an ovarian cyst need to be considered. Even pelvic inflammatory disease has to be kept in mind.

In case you have got an ultrasound done lately, do post me as this could be of some help. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I hope my advice will help you to a good extent in alleviating your symptoms.

Please do not hesitate to revert to me if you have any doubt.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.