Having pain in leg, cannot walk. Has thyroid problem. Took aspirin. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mom's leg started hurting yesterday when she woke up. It wasn't a bad pain until today in the afternoon. She can't walk because she says the pain is too much. She also says she feels as if the bone might become dislocated. She is a big woman and someone told her it might be because of her weight but she has never had a problem before. She is very strong. The pain is on her left thigh towards her bottom. She has a thyroid problem.. can that be the issue? She took aspirin and the pain went down a little.. just enough for her to walk.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 57 minutes later

I have studied your case.

Can you provide more details about her symptoms:
- Does the pain worsen/aggravate on exertion?
- Does she have numbness, tingling with/without weakness in her leg?

According to your history, it seems that you are having nerve impingement. Our spine has multiple nerves, which are supplying our whole body, due to disc bulge these nerves get compressed and leads pain, and spasm.

Other close possibilities that can be the cause of pain are muscle sprain and facet arthropathy.

A clinical examination and radiograph like X-ray spine and if required MRI spine can help us identify the cause. I would suggest these tests to you. You may discuss with your local doctor/orthopedic surgeon and plan the tests.

That being said, thyroid problem can lead to muscle pain decrease tolerance and early sore. You need to continue your thyroid hormonal medication.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Having pain in leg, cannot walk. Has thyroid problem. Took aspirin. What can be done? 2 hours later
Hello. Thank you for replying. She did say that when she sits down her leg gets numb and feel tingly at times.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
In such a case of numbness and tingling, nerve compression is most probable possibility.

You may need MRI of the SPINE.