Having pain in leg. MRI showed compression of s1 nerve root. Non-surgical treatment?

I have pain in right leg,As per MRI report,it is leading to significant compression of right s1 nerve root.Please advise me Without any operation can we cure.Please suggest me without any operation can cure slip disc.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

In most cases of pinched nerve conservative non-surgical treatment is tried first and on failure of this surgery is suggested.

Conservative treatment include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, and avoiding activity that strains the neck or back. The majority of radiculopathy patients respond well to this conservative treatment, and symptoms often improve within six weeks to three months.

If patients do not improve with the treatments listed above they may benefit from an epidural steroid injection. With the help of an X-ray machine, a physician injects steroid medication between the bones of the spine adjacent to the involved nerves. This can help to rapidly reduce the inflammation and irritation of the nerve and help reduce the symptoms of radiculopathy.

In some cases the symptoms continue despite all of the above treatment options. If this occurs and the symptoms are severe, surgery may be an option.

So I would suggest you to discuss this options with doctor.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: Having pain in leg. MRI showed compression of s1 nerve root. Non-surgical treatment? 52 minutes later
Due to compression of right L5-s1,Is there any side effact on my body part (like uncontrol of urine/stool)
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 hours later
Compression at this level generally causes only back and lower leg symptoms.Higher level discs can cause symptoms related to urinary bladder and bowel.

Follow-up: Having pain in leg. MRI showed compression of s1 nerve root. Non-surgical treatment? 24 minutes later
Please suggest me some exercises and medicne so that halp for me
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 44 minutes later
Since this is acute stage, exercises are not advisable.In addition you need a demo of exercises, which won't be possible online.One has to see the patient and then take into consideration their health issues, body weight, age to suggest exercises.Ideally one should see physiotherapist to get a set of exercise protocol.

For pain you can start with NSAIDs like ibuprofen.If pain persists after that you can try mild opioid analgesics, but a consultation with doctor should be considered before this.