Having pain in left upper quadrant with heartburn. Had stomach flu with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Gallbladder issue?

On Sunday, I woke up with a pain in my left upper quadrant. It feels almost like a "tearing or ripping" pain. It hurts worse when I bend over. I have also been having heartburn every day. Last week I was sick with what I thought was the stomach flu with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. It lasted for a few days. I still do not have an appetite and eat only little bits, especially with the heartburn. Should I be worried about my gallbladder or could it be something else. The heartburn comes after I eat everything and sometimes I don't even have to eat for it to start. Sometimes I also feel pain in my back.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 34 minutes later
Dear friend,

Welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Left upper quadrant abdominal cannot be due to gall bladder as it is on the right.

With your nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, heartburn, it is most likely a gastro-enteritis/ colitis.
Do the stools have blood, mucus in it? Was it watery? Foul-smelling?

Another differential is any kidney infection or a peptic disease.
Do you have difficulty in urination, frequency, pain, and bleed in urine?

Back pain may occur with all above. Pancreatitis is another possibility.

I think you should get evaluated by your physician. You have to do hemogram, urine and stool routine examinations, abdomino-pelvic sonography is suggested on examination.
The doctor may suggest other tests depending on findings.

Till then, you may take ondansetron for vomiting, anti-acidity drugs like omeprazole (Prilosec), and simple pain killers like paracetamol. You will need antibiotics which your doctor will help you with to give a prescription. If you feel things are worse, you may visit the ER.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at

Good Luck! Thank you!!

I hope you are fully satisfied with the guidance I gave.