Having pain in left toe bone. Using fastum gel. Having swelling. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For a year now I have had pain in my left big toe bone, feels more like a burn than pain. I tried putting fastum gel but it didnt help. A few days ago my left thumb started the same thing, but instead of a burn...pain. I couldn't bend my thumb, it was swollen and an X-ray was done however no fracture present. I was given anti inflamatory tablets. The pain is still there after 6 days but the swelling has gone down. Any idea why I'm having these joint issues?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
The pain in the big toe and other joints is likely to be due to gout or arthritis or tendonitis. A physical examination and simple blood test will help in the exact diagnosis.
Gout happens when there are increased uric acid levels in the blood and the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation.
It can happen due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.
It is associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.
Taking a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms.
Drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid. Reducing meat intake will also help. If it is causing you recurrent symptoms, you can seek medical help and ask your doctor to prescribe you some analgesics and specific medicines which increase the uric acid excretion from the kidneys after appropriate blood tests.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.