Having pain in left side of face behind eye and gum. X-ray showed clear. What's wrong?

ENT Specialist
I have this pain on the left side of my face behind my left eye and the gum. I have had X-rays, MRIs, and scans. Nothing was found. I thought it was related to a root canal done two years ago. I had the restored tooth removed. No relief. I have take alive and / or advil and it will relief it. A neurologist I was seeing to me it was rebound headaches. Also, antihistamine and mucous congestion tablets will relieve it. I go as long as two days or more without taking anything but finds the pain worsening and debilitating. Please help!!!!
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. This seems to be a Trigeminal Neuralgia. The Fifth Cranial Nerve supplies most of the face.

2. This problem may be related to the root canal or the nasal surgery. Chronic nonspecific pains are known after nasal surgery.

3. Your pains may be a referred pain due to common nerve supply.

4. I would like to review your MRI and CT Scan images. You may share them here in chronological order.

5. Chronic Sinusitis should be ruled out.

6. Get your physician to prescribe specific painkillers for neuralgias which are different from regular painkillers, such as amytriptyline, carbamazepine and gabapentin.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.