Having pain in left side of chest. What could be this?

From last couples of month I have observed that sometime (0, 1 or 2 times) in a moth I feel very light pain in my upper left chest. I am just wondering if something is going wrong. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 33 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query to us.
I would like to know few more details about you. How is your lifestyle? What is your current weight & height ? Do you smoke or drink? Does your parents have any heart problem? Have you done your lipid profile tested anytime before? Does the pain in chest have any relationship with food or exercise.

Since you are only 32 years of age so the possibility of you having any heart problem is less provided you dont have any risk factor. So dont worry, just follow simple lifestyle changes as mentioned below.

If you are overweight , reduce weight. Exercise daily for 20-30minutes. Include more of fibre in your diet. Avoid spicy food. Chew the food properly & eat slowly. Drink 8-10 glass of water. Avoid heavy dinner at night & eat 2 hours before going to sleep.

Follow all this measures & see whether you get the chest pain again.Even after following this if next time you get chest pain kindly get your ECG (Electrocardiogram) done to rule out any cardiac cause of pain.

I hope i have answered your query. Incase you have any further doubt i will be happy to help you.Take care.

Follow-up: Having pain in left side of chest. What could be this? 26 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt reply Dr. XXXXXXX

My current weight is 64 kg and height is 5.7 f. I never smoke but occasionally drink, most likely once or twice in a year drink beer. My parapets don’t have heart disease or any other disease.
I have never done any lipid profile test. I don’t think the problem has to do with exercise of food.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Your body weight is ok. You dont have any risk factor for having heart problem, so just follow the above mentioned steps.
Try doing deep breathing exercise this will help you feel relaxed. Anxiety & stress can also cause chest pain.So don't worry. Take care.