Having pain in left lower rib cage. Have enlarged spleen. Due to kidney stone or gall bladder?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello, I have been having serious pain in my left side since august 2012. It is located in the lower ribcage area, the pain, and it tends to travel upwards and to the side. It ranges in strength from a level 4 to a level 7-8. I have IgA Nefropathy, and my specialist has investigated my kidneys as a possible source for this pain. I have also been checked for kidney stones. Anything to do with my kidneys, other than the already diagnosed disease, has been ruled out as a cause for the pain. I have also seen and under gone testing with a urologist, and an internist for a colonoscopy. I was recently having some possible gall bladder pain, and although the ultasound showed nothing for the gallbladder, it was noted that my spleen was enlarged. No size was given or any indicationas to how enlarged it was. I have asked my GP for a CT with contrast for my spleen. She has agreed. My research tells me that an enlarged spleen can cause pain, but all gp doctors that I speak to tell me I am imagining this pain and that it is psychosomatic. What should I be looking for? What tests should I be asking for. I can certainly tell you the pain is real. Thank you, XXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

An enlarged spleen can cause discomfort on the left lower rib cage area but shall depend on the size of the spleen. As you mentioned that the size was not mentioned during the ultrasound imaging you are on the right tract by getting a CT scan done with contrast. Apart from this you can get the following blood investigations done:
1. Hemogram (must have been done)
2. Peripheral smear examination to rule out any abnormality in the red cells or the white cells
3. Peripheral smear examination for malaria (though unlikely if you have not been to a tropical area in the near future).

I presume that the ultrasound examination must have revealed a normal liver architecture.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please do share the findings. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Having pain in left lower rib cage. Have enlarged spleen. Due to kidney stone or gall bladder? 12 minutes later
What is a hemogram? What does it entail and what will it show or tell us? Where would I have to go to get the peripheral smears done? Are they complicated?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 12 minutes later

Thanks for the query and the information.

Hemogram and peripheral are routine normal blood tests which can be done by any pathologist. They are not complicated. Hemogram includes hemoglobin, total and differential white blood counts, parameters of red cells, etc. Peripheral smear is done to know any abnormality in the red cell or white cell series which can at times give rise to an enlarged spleen.

It will have to be seen if the countries you visited in South XXXXXXX have malaria which need to be excluded in your case. It may not be the cause but need to be excluded in the work-up for an enlarged spleen.

I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please do share the findings.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Having pain in left lower rib cage. Have enlarged spleen. Due to kidney stone or gall bladder? 2 days later
Something I wanted to clarify. Would an enlarged spleen cause pain?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 35 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Yes, if the splenic enlargement is rapid then it can cause pain which is usually a dull heaviness of the area.

I would have appreciated if you had shared the investigation findings as requsted earlier.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv