Having pain in knuckle of the middle finger. Finger swollen, bruised and feel sensitive. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
During a tennis match yesterday my middle finger at the knuckle had a sharp numbing pain.... on inspection it looked like a vain in my hand was 'plumbed up'. After the match the knuckle on that finger is slightly swollen, bruised and sensitive....any thoughts on what caused this and the best thing to do today - as I have another two tennis matches to get through this evening...with more to follow this week.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 23 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

From the given description, I feel that you could have sustained a SPRAIN of the Metacarpophalageal joint (MCP joint) of your middle finger. Either the capsule of the joint or the ligaments might have suffered injury due to overstretch.

The Acute management of this condition is as follows -

* Rest to the local part - by avoiding any further movements that puts strain over the MCP joint.
* Ice packing - to instantly reduce the pain & swelling. Cold compressions should be kept for atleast 15 minutes and should be repeated every 2 hours.

I think the above measures will temporarily take care of your symptoms. For definitive diagnosis and management, you have to consult an orthopedic surgeon.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Follow-up: Having pain in knuckle of the middle finger. Finger swollen, bruised and feel sensitive. What to do? 7 minutes later
As I have to play two more tennis matches tonight - would it be advisable to strap the knuckle up?

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 24 minutes later
Hi, If your fingers are not hurting too much during your play, I think there is no harm in applying a strapping.

But beware, any more strain on the joint may worsen your symptoms. As a safe side measure, take some analgesic antiinflammatory medication before you attend the match.

Good luck

Follow-up: Having pain in knuckle of the middle finger. Finger swollen, bruised and feel sensitive. What to do? 43 minutes later
Thank you very much!

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 12 minutes later
You are welcome.

Best of luck and have a great day.