Having pain in knee joint, unable to climb stairs and walk. X-ray showed no fracture but muscle tear. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For last few months, i am facing pain in my knee joints and around.
If i walk for a while or climb up stairs the situation becomes quite bad and i have no control over the pain. I recently visited a doctor (when i even had problems walking for a while) and an X-Ray confirmed that no fracture is present while some muscle/ligaments worn out (or something).
Can you suggest me the best way/diagnosis to go for so that i donot have to deal with this pain in future?
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your symptoms it seems that both of your knee joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.