Having pain in knee, diagnosed with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having a great deal of pain in my right knee. It has been hurting for about three days now. Each day it seems to get worse. It hurts worse when I put weight on it or bend it. It is barely swollen, not a great deal but just barely noticeable. I have been diagnosed with both osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.
My fibromyalgia seems to affect my joints more than it does my muscles.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There can be degenerative meniscus tear

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Pain in osteoarthritis knee increases on exertion, so you need to take few days rest, avoid strain on your knee.
You can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate, which you need to take for couple of months.
Degenerative meniscus tear is common in patients with osteoarthritis.Meniscus tear can lead to sudden onset of pain and some times knee swelling.
I will advise you to wear hinged knee brace and take analgesics.
If required MRI knee can be done and if there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.

Fibromyalgia does not have cure, you can only minimise symptoms by taking anti-inflammatory.
A holistic approach is required, which includes exercises, yoga, meditation and acupuncture.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.