Having pain in knee and there is no swelling. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 31 year old male, moderately built, height 176 cm, weight 80 kgs, I have been doing 5 km running daily for about a month, Also, I play squash and Table tennis.and now I feel pain in my knees. Although the pain is bearable, I wonder whether an expert consultation is required at the moment. There is no swelling as such.

Anything that I should be concerned about? Please advise what I have to do.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in your query.

Doesn't really ring an alarm bell but knee pain can turn notorious if care is not taken initially. You seem to do a lot of athletic activity and its possible that you might have damaged an XXXXXXX structure while doing so. XXXXXXX structures like menisci, ligaments, cartilage are vulnerable if adequate gear is not worn.

You should most certainly be concerned but not worried about the situation. Avoid running and all sporting activity till pain subsides completely. Although bearable, you must take anti inflammatory medications and local ice pack fomentation to help inflammation to subside early. Do not bend the knee for any position unless absolutely necessary and avoid using staircase for a while.

If this condition is not self limiting or requires prolonged rest or if it relapses, get it clinically examined and get an MRI done for early accurate diagnosis.
Please feel free to ask more, I'm available for follow up.
Follow-up: Having pain in knee and there is no swelling. Should I be concerned? 3 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt answer.

I would like to consult you in person, if that is possible, where could I XXXXXXX up for a consultation?
Thanks for replying back.

I shall be glad to treat you in person. I'm available in Sevenhills hospital Mumbai. For appointment please call me on +0 0000.