Having pain in knee after delivery. What should I do for cure?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, I have a baby of 16 months 2 weeks. I dont seem to have lot weight post delivery. Secondly I have a pain in my left knee when I bend. I keep feeling that i minght slip and fall any moment
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 17 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

If you are breast feeding the baby ,then it is difficult to loose weight early.
You have to avoid eating fatty food,ghee,etc now( which is a custom in south India to feed the mother with lot of ghee!l)

You also should start cutting on your starchy diet .
Secondly the most important thing is to start doing exercises including the abdominal.

For the pain in the left knee, do you have any swelling or redness around the joint?

You are too young to develop pain due to excess weight.

First you have to see the ortho doctor to see any local cause for the pain.
If he rules out ,you have to take some extra calcium supplement esp if you are breast feeding.
Meanwhile you can apply cold compress (if the pain is recent onset within 1 week) or hot fomentation ( if duration of pain is more than 1 week) and try some anti inflammatory drugs like brufen 4oo mgs strictly after food 2-3 times per day for 5 days .

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Having pain in knee after delivery. What should I do for cure? 37 minutes later
Dr. Uma,
Thank you for your response.

I am not breast feeding baby...... she stopped on her own at 7 months. I am a simple eater and mostly without oil or with very very less oil.

I walk for 30 mins 3 times a week. And thus I am all the more worried why I am not loosing weight.

I shall surely check with an Ortho. The pain is mild and constant, and it is shooting when I move. I haven't taken any pain killer for this. ......
I stopped the calcium supplement once the baby stopped feeding......... worried that have I've stopped calcium supplement too early.

Can I make it up for this

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Any time you can take calcium. .
But remember too much of calcium is also not good - can cause renal stones.!

When you lose calcium ,you should take it
Or when intake is inadequate like not taking milk and milk products due to intolerance etc,you should take it.

Now if your diet is alright,you can take twice or thrice a week.

Reg your knee pain it looks like what we call referred pain from the back ( spine)
Pl go to a good ortho specialist and get examined and investigated.

Losing weight is only in our hands!
It is a difficult job!!
It is like bank account!( a balance between what you put in and
What you spend!!)

More and more of exercise and less and less of high calorie food is the only answer!

Keep a weekly target of 0.5 kg and try yo achieve it.
Slow and steady decline is better

Dr Uma