Having pain in knee. Now pain radiating to calf muscles. Having swollen ankle. Sugestions

Orthopaedic Surgeon
started out with pain behind the knee. Thought it was hamsting tightness. Then later moved down to calf muscle. Thought it was a calf muscle strain. Now has additional symptom of swollen ankle.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The pain and the swelling of the ankle that you have described could be due to a muscle sprain or deep vein thrombosis.
If there is pain present even while resting which aggravates on walking and there is no history of injury, then it needs to be investigated for DVT. You can consult a physician for a direct examination and a color doppler scan of the leg.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.