Having pain in knee. Diagnosed with chondromalacia patella. Precaution and medicine to be taken?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor,

I am having pain in both of my knees from past few months. I showed it to doctor and he told me that i am having Chondromalacia patella.
Can you please tell me how much it often take it to recover,
Can i do some physical activities
what are the major precautions i need to take.
Is there a medicie to recover from it quickly.

Thanks .
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Chondromalacia patella is usually associated with pain during motion. The best way is to avoid the painful activities.
Stretching and strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups is critical for proper treatment. Quad sets are done by contraction the thigh muscles while the legs are straight and holding the contraction for a count of 10. Sets of 10 contractions are done between 15-20 times per day.You can do the required exercises under the care of an expert physiotherapist.
Get your shoes examined for proper biomechanical fit.
Heat application and use of knee brace is advised for proper knee support at the time of exercise.
Avoid such activities as squatting, kneeling, heavy lifting, climbing, etc.
Adding glucosamine sulfate as supplement after consulting your orthopedician may help in relieving your symptoms.
With adequate physical therapy and treatment, usually the patient becomes symptom free in 3-4 months.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.